June 18, 2018
As we head into the summer this notice provides a short recap of a successful 2017-2018 season and important information to help clubs prepare for 2018-2019.
MSO has had a very successful 2017-2018 season, receiving wide support from masters swimmers and clubs. Our core values continue to be the core values of masters swimming: fun, fitness and participation, all at a reasonable cost.
On June 21st, 2017 MSO announced that it would offer a fully insured masters swimming program independent of Swim Ontario (SO) and Masters Swimming Canada (MSC). Additional detail was published on August 17th, 2017 which included Q&As. In spite of the uncertainty, some 2,800 swimmers and 64 clubs registered with MSO. In addition……
- MSO now offers a MEGAMetre Tracker (January 9, 2018).
- MSO sanctioned 14 swimming events, including a well-attended Provincials competition in Nepean; the second largest masters meet in Canada in 2017-2018.
- MSO is pleased to see the return of the London Sunset LCM Meet on July 14th, a welcome tune up for Pan Am Masters 2018. And we already have 3 planned events for 2018-2019.
- MSO’s Single-Event Registration provided insurance that allowed any swimmer, whether MSO-registered or not, to participate in MSO sanctioned events. This option was very popular and it will be offered again.
- All competitive masters swims in Canada continued to be ranked by Christian Berger, including those from MSO sanctioned events (April 12, 2018). The MSO database is now the only comprehensive and searchable source of rankings for Canadian masters swimming.
- In January 2018, MSO swimmers were offered one more pathway to events outside those sanctioned by MSO. This was a priority in our October 7, 2017 Open Letter to Dan Thompson.
On May 27, 2018 the MSO Board passed a motion to hold the 2018-2019 club affiliation and swimmer registration fees at their current level.
$45.00 Club Affiliation/Registration (New and Renewing)
$10.00 Swimmer Registration (Club and Independent)
$5.00 Single Event Registration Fees (Single Day Meet)
$10.00 Single Event Registration Fees (Provincial Championship)
There are no fees for coaches. While strongly encouraged, there are no requirements for coaching certification.
Details about the club registration process are found at https://www.mastersswimmingontario.ca/club-managers-and-coaches/registration/. As club executives change over from year to year, we ask that you update the MSO database so that the August Notice which launches the 2018-2019 affiliation process reaches your club without delay.
As of September 2017, two waivers must be completed by all swimmers and coaches, and maintained by the club:
- Liability Waiver forms are required from all swimmers and coaches as a condition of insurance. These must be retained by the club and made available in the event that an insurance claim is made. If your club does not currently use a Liability Waiver, please use the model Waiver form provided on the MSO website.
- Consent to collect personal information. This consent meets the requirements of the Canadian Personal Information Protection & Electronic Documents Act.
These waivers were sent out after the start of registration late last year. For 2018-2019, we ask clubs to incorporate waiver forms into the clubs registration process at the outset.
MSO continues to offer a fully insured masters program. What does this mean?
All registered swimmers and coaches are insured under MSO’s policy while participating in any MSO activity (training, competition, “after practice meals”, club and provincial meetings). Insurance also extends to volunteers working under the direction of MSO or MSO‑affiliated club, for example during a swim meet. The 2017-2018 policy does not include Open Water Swimming and the serving of alcohol is only covered within the context of an awards banquet.
MSO’s Policy also provides Directors and Officers (D&O) insurance to the executive of affiliated club; an incentive for clubs to keep their information in the MSO database up to date.
MSO has offered insurance for more than 20 years. Whether or not a masters club is somehow integrated with another entity, MSO allows clubs to assess how best to ensure that all their members, staff and volunteers are properly covered.
If you have questions, please contact the MSO Registrar at MSOReg@MastersSwimmingOntario.ca