(last update March 27, 2021)
- The name of the Association is: Masters Swimming Ontario.
- The goal of the Association is to promote Masters Swimming in Ontario.
- The objectives of the Association are:
a) to promote, foster, teach, and perpetuate life-long adult fitness through the sport of swimming, and to encourage training for self-development and sportsmanship in the field of competitive Masters Swimming;
b) to promote swimming as a means of healthful exercise for a broad cross-section of the community and as a means of improving the physical fitness of the general population;
c) to outline safe training programmes directed to both former competitors and non-competitors; and
d) to determine, publish, update, administer, and enforce rules and regulations governing Masters Swimming and the conduct of Masters Swimming competition under its jurisdiction, and to deal with any infringement thereof.
- The Association may be a Member of Masters Swimming Canada, which is comprised of the provincial Masters Swimming associations.
- The Association may be an affiliate member of Swim Ontario.
- Individual members shall enjoy the same rights as those set forth in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
- The operations of the Association are chiefly carried on in the Province of Ontario.
- The Association shall be a non-profit incorporated organization.
Read the full Constitution and Bylaws of Masters Swimming Ontario
Recent By-law Changes
2011-11-13 Change AGM notice period from 60 to 30 days
2012-11-11 Change Constitution Clause 5 from “shall” to “may”
2017-11-19 Change Constitution Clause 4 from “shall” to “may”
2017-11-19 Delete “not” in Directors Clause 1 “…Directors, who may exercise all such powers and do all such acts and things as may be exercised or done by the Association and are not by the by-laws or any resolution of the Association or…”
2018-12-09 Add definition – “Single Event Registrant” shall mean a person registered with the Association for the duration of single-day or multi-day event, sanctioned by the Association, and having paid the prescribed Single Event Registration fee.
2021-03-27 Additional text in Audit / External Review Clause 1 – “The Delegates shall at each AGM appoint either an auditor or, subject to the requirements of the Corporations Act, external accountants to conduct a review engagement of the accounts of the Association, and to hold office until the next AGM, provided that the Board of Directors may fill any casual vacancy in the office of the auditor or external accountants. The remuneration of the auditor or external accountants shall be fixed from time to time by the Board of Directors.”
2021-03-27 Remove the reference to “Toronto” in Head Office Clause 1 – The Head Office of the Association shall be in the Municipality of Metropolitan Toronto in the Province of Ontario, and at such place therein as the Board of Directors may from time to time by resolution determine.